Welcome! Hippie skirts and Harleys essentially explains my life. I am the hippie mom who likes to do a lot of things the natural way, and hippie skirts tend to be my favorite wardrobe item. Harleys is pretty self explanatory. My husband and I love to get on the bike and just go. Some people would consider us strange, but we're just us...

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Nursing Cookies

Update: I updated the cookie recipe, so now it is exactly how I make them. I always forget my tweaks until someone else watches me make it. :)

I sent a recipe for nursing cookies to a friend today, when it occurred to me that others might not know about nursing cookies either. They are a great way to boost lactation. The 2 best methods for me are a dark beer, and these cookies. I did a search for nursing cookies, and was amazed at what I saw. Some companies sell cookies with the identical active ingredients for $40 for 30 cookies! Plus shipping!!! Nursing moms, please make this recipe instead of spending a fortune.

Nursing Cookies to boost lactation

Ingredients:

1 C butter applesauce

1 C sugar

1 C brown sugar

4 3 T water

2 T flaxseed meal (no subs)

2 Lg eggs

1 t vanilla

2 C flour

1 t baking soda

1 t salt

3 4.5 C Thick cut oats

1 C Chocolate chips

2 4 T Brewers Yeast (no substitutions)

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 375 350

Mix 2 T of flaxseed meal and water, set aside 3-5 minutes.

Cream butter and sugar.

Add eggs.

Stir flaxseed mix into butter mix and add vanilla.

Beat until well blended.

Sift: dry ingredients, except oats and choc chips.

Add butter mix to dry ing.

Stir in the oats and then the choc chips. And Brewers yeast

Drop on parchment paper on baking sheet.

Bake 8-12 minutes.


Funny story about these cookies... I gave this recipe to my mom and asked her to make some shortly after Britches was born. I wasn't able to be up yet, but she sweetly agreed. My husband came home and saw cookies on the counter cooling. He grabbed one and walked into the living room. Just as he was about to take a bite, I told him they were nursing cookies. He froze, and said, "Like for breast milk?" I confirmed this, and he slowly walked over to me, handed me the cookie, and said he was good. I laughed hysterically!

These are perfectly fine for anyone to eat, just especially good for milk production. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Great! Thanks for this. I'm guessing Brewers yeast is different from active dry yeast?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry it took me so long to respond, I didn't see your comment earlier. Brewers yeast is different. You will find it in the dairy section, usually near the butter.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...