Welcome! Hippie skirts and Harleys essentially explains my life. I am the hippie mom who likes to do a lot of things the natural way, and hippie skirts tend to be my favorite wardrobe item. Harleys is pretty self explanatory. My husband and I love to get on the bike and just go. Some people would consider us strange, but we're just us...

Friday, April 8, 2011

Supervillians Are Among Us!



Our economy is terrible, that is no secret. The environment is in major trouble. The world is pretty much falling apart, and we can't stop it. I do believe we can slow it down though. My mom and I have talked about this many times. We both agree that many people have developed a sense of entitlement. "I deserve that new car," "I earned that giant house," "I need that vacation in the Bahamas," etc.

Honestly in the world today, I am happy that I have a roof over my head and food on the table. I am fine with the fact that I had to shop the sales for that food and cook it from scratch. It is better for us anyway!

I am not trying to convert the masses, I just want to make sure everyone who wants to be is educated about the options. I don't hide that I prefer to do things in a more natural way. Yes I am the weird hippie mom! I am THAT mom who packs organic granola and flaxseed cookies for snacks, and tries to make everything before considering buying it (tries is the operative word here). Luckily many of those natural ways are also much cheaper. Cheaper + better for me + better for the environment = All winners!

A couple of examples here: OCM, no poo, natural homemade cleansers, cloth diapers, mama cloth, glass, family cloth, gardening, and so many more! I realize that not all of these are for everyone, and I was skeptical about a lot of the natural alternatives, but they are definitely worth looking into.

I am convinced that I could take a normal person, teach them a few natural alternatives, and cut a huge chunk out of their budget! Grizzly and I are probably saving $200-$300 a month by using our "hippie" methods.

Do people just not realize there are other options?

Do they not want to stray from the norm?

Are they secretly living as supervillians who want to throw away money and destroy the planet?
(That last one is a joke, well, mostly)
(Hehehe, supervillian --->)

The point is, there are natural alternatives to almost everything we do or use. I think it's worthwhile to consider them.

I will get down off my soapbox now. Carry on...

2 comments:

  1. Well said mama! I am trying to convert to natural alternatives myself. We already cloth diaper (and wipes), breastfeed, and use vinegar for most of our cleaning. I am looking into planting a small garden too (we have a very small back yard.. so it will be a very small garden- but better than none!)

    Found your blog on the bbc wahm wares board (I also follow your facebook!) I would love if you followed me in return :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...