Welcome! Hippie skirts and Harleys essentially explains my life. I am the hippie mom who likes to do a lot of things the natural way, and hippie skirts tend to be my favorite wardrobe item. Harleys is pretty self explanatory. My husband and I love to get on the bike and just go. Some people would consider us strange, but we're just us...

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Oil Cleansing Method

Do you have sensitive skin? Prone to break-outs? Sick of paying trying different facial soaps? I have had plenty of issues with soap, especially if it comes anywhere near my redheaded, florescent white super fair, sensitive face. Enter OCM: Oil Cleansing Method. I have heard a lot of crunchy moms talk about this method for a long time. There is of course some science behind it, that definitely makes sense. The selling point for me was how much everyone raved about it, and I am not allergic to any of the ingredients! That is very hard for me to find.

A quick summary of the science portion is this: OCM uses the principle that "oil dissolves oil." Castor oil is your base oil (cleansing agent), and you add a secondary (moisturizing/other) oil to it. I like about 40% castor oil and 60% sweet almond oil (EVOO works well too). If you have oily skin, use more castor oil. For dry skin, use more of your other oil. Many, many different combinations and oils can be used.

The method (this is just how I do it, so don't hold me accountable if you don't like it): Gently massage a pea size amount into your skin. Do this for a while... Once you have thoroughly gooified (I am making up words today, go with it) your face, get a washcloth as hot as you can comfortably keep on your skin. This is the steaming portion of our routine. Keep it on there a until it feels room temperature again, then repeat. You need a good 3-4 times of "steaming" your face to get the oil off. Gently rub any icky goo from your pores away. Rinse. Then splash some cold water on your face to close up those pores and you're good to go!

For more info, this link is very helpful:

It works! A totally natural, chemical free facial cleanser. I do this once a day, and my skin is so soft and supple. My hubby won't complain about the cost either! So go raid the medicine cabinet and the kitchen cupboards, and wash your face.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...