Welcome! Hippie skirts and Harleys essentially explains my life. I am the hippie mom who likes to do a lot of things the natural way, and hippie skirts tend to be my favorite wardrobe item. Harleys is pretty self explanatory. My husband and I love to get on the bike and just go. Some people would consider us strange, but we're just us...

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Cloth Diapers: $100 Challenge


I am so excited! My husband doesn't understand how I can be jumping-out-of-my-skin-excited about diapers. Let alone diapers that I am not even going to use! Let me explain...

Some time ago, I was looking at cloth diapers. I was checking prices on prefolds, because you can never have enough. Seriously, they have so many uses. More about that later. I was looking at different options, when the thought that started all of this occurred to me, "I wonder how cheap I could cloth diaper a child?" It is nice to have a variety, but what if someone needed the most inexpensive option?

Then I thought, "I bet I could diaper a child for $100, birth to potty training." I took this as a challenge. The search was on. I started finding more and more options, and I started realizing that I could realistically do it. There are tons of options for making diapers out of old clothes, towels, sheets, etc. But so many people in my generation do not know how to sew or don't have access to a sewing machine, so I stuck with commercially available items that anyone could buy.

I am so excited about this because I truly believe it can help people. Whether you use cloth for financial, health, or environmental reasons, it is a great thing! We have so many low income families in my community, all over the country really. If people knew they could save thousands of dollars, I have to think they would do it. Added bonus: it is so much better for the baby and the environment!

Onto the challenge. I searched every store, every resource I knew. And. I. Did. It...

Here is how...
Note: I used mostly prefolds because they are cheap, easy to use, and last through many sizes. I have also used each of the other diapers listed (with the exception of Econobums covers, which will be here this week).
In the cart cart above, there are:
24 one size prefolds
7 one size covers
1 wetbag
Total: $96.75

This is enough to wash every other day, and should last from birth to potty training. This option even includes a wetbag. You could easily get by with this option and nothing else. Some will argue that "one size" won't fit newborns, but you can make them work if needed. Many One Size diapers fit my daughter at about 8 lbs.

Next option...
In this cart are:
2 one size pocket diapers
9 infant prefolds
12 premium prefolds
4 small covers
4 size 2 covers
Total: $128.50

Some of these are gently used, but I have had great luck with this company. This option would actually be done better if you purchased the small diapers, then sold those to buy the larger diapers. You do not need them all at once.

Next...

12 One Size Pocket Diapers
Total: $24.00

As you can see, this is a receipt not a cart. This one is elusive, so I used an example that I personally purchased. It is only available a couple times a year, but is well worth it. 12 One Size diapers for $24.00. You are reading that correctly. Pocket diapers are very easy too, similar to disposables. You can see I purchased 6 refresher kits with them, but I didn't even need them. These do not come with inserts, but you can stuff them with old towels if you need to (it works!).

Next...

24 Pocket Diapers
Total: $108.00

This is, again, enough diapers to wash every other day. These are also very easy to use. They use snaps, but go on like a disposables.

You can of course mix and match these options. Sunbaby has a $60.00 option for 12 diapers, and you could get 4 of the Econobum sets (12 prefolds and 4 covers) all for $107.80

If you use cloth wipes, that will save even more. Baby washcloths are an easy option. You can also cut up flannel ($2.49 per yard at Joann's right now), even old shirts. If you use these wipe options, you can easily cloth diaper a child for $100... Total, not a month!

I am taking brochures about this experiment to my local help center, baby closet, etc. Like I said, I genuinely believe this can help people. If this helps even one person, the time and energy I spend on this is well worth it...


*All items were found at Cottonbabies, Jillian's Drawers, and Sunbaby. There are many SWAP boards out there with inexpensive choices too; Diaperswappers and BBC CD SWAP are two that I have had great experiences with.

**New update here.

4 comments:

  1. What site were the bumgenius from? I would love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bumgenius are from cottonbabies.com. They have an "end of life" sale and a "well loved" sale a couple times a year. It isn't always easy to catch them, but well worth it if you do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you sooo much!! This is a huge help!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will try to post when they have their next sale!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...