Welcome! Hippie skirts and Harleys essentially explains my life. I am the hippie mom who likes to do a lot of things the natural way, and hippie skirts tend to be my favorite wardrobe item. Harleys is pretty self explanatory. My husband and I love to get on the bike and just go. Some people would consider us strange, but we're just us...

Sunday, June 12, 2011

The List


I was sitting in church today people watching, as I often do, when I saw a young woman walk by. She really wasn't a woman, but a girl just graduating from high school. It was, after all, graduation Sunday. I have known this girl her entire life. Something stuck me this morning though... She doesn't know how to walk in heels! I had to laugh at myself a little for noticing such an odd thing, but it is something that I do pay attention to.

I whispered to my mom, "Do girls just not know how to walk in heels anymore?" Her response was an incredibly true statement: "There are a lot of things about being a girl that girls just don't know."

This got me thinking about the things I need to be sure to teach my daughter. This has nothing to do with the battle of the sexes, feminism, etc. I just think that if you are going to wear heels, you need to know how to walk in them. So, here is the start of my list. Many of them have stories behind them, but some are just skills that I think everyone should have.

What Every Girl Should Know:
  • How to rewire an outlet.
  • How to walk in heels.
  • How to change a tire, oil, belt, etc.
  • How to sew.
  • How to substitute ingredients.
  • How to read a map.
  • How to use the Dewey Decimal System.
  • How to relieve yourself in the woods.
  • How to haggle.

I am confident that my list will grow, but this is a decent start.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...