Welcome! Hippie skirts and Harleys essentially explains my life. I am the hippie mom who likes to do a lot of things the natural way, and hippie skirts tend to be my favorite wardrobe item. Harleys is pretty self explanatory. My husband and I love to get on the bike and just go. Some people would consider us strange, but we're just us...

Friday, June 24, 2011

The Teeny Tiny Tutu

I got a message from a friend today. A close friend of hers just welcomed a new little bundle of joy into the world. This particular little bundle is an especially tiny bundle. She was born 3 months early and weighed 2 lbs 4 oz. My friend wanted to know if I could make a preemie tutu for her. I am pretty handy with tulle, so I said of course. She requested that it be black and hot pink, and the parents liked zebra print. Not a problem, I have all of those colors. She sent me a picture of this itty bitty princess, and my heart melted.

I am not sure if it's preemies in general, because both of my children were premature I do have a soft spot for them. Or maybe just a baby who is so tiny. Whatever the reason, it melted me. Turned me into a ball of jello. I think it hit me so hard because Britches was supposed to be smaller. The doctors tried to convince me to let them take her out, but I refused. I just kept on refusing. The ultrasound estimate at that time was 1 lb 8 oz. I am so glad I held out as long as possible. Seeing this tiny little human hooked up to machines took me back to when she was born.

So I went to work shrinking my normal tutu dress pattern. I compared sizes to one of Britches preemie onesies, and checked some measurements online. I started cutting the teeny tiny bodice, sewing the small pieces together, cutting baby pieces of tulle, and weaving through impossibly small holes. The tutu started to take shape. It looks like it's made for one of my daughter's dolls, not much bigger than your hand. So small. It makes me think of how fragile this small girl is...

I am sure that this precious little girl will not remember the teeny tiny tutu, or even know the tutu maker, but I hope that some of the love that I felt making this dress for her translates. I have said before that I believe that my love goes into each stitch. In this case, I hope it helps her grow stronger and thrive...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...