Welcome! Hippie skirts and Harleys essentially explains my life. I am the hippie mom who likes to do a lot of things the natural way, and hippie skirts tend to be my favorite wardrobe item. Harleys is pretty self explanatory. My husband and I love to get on the bike and just go. Some people would consider us strange, but we're just us...

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Crunchy Side

Crunchy is the new way to describe someone who likes to do things the natural way. There is a whole spectrum ranging from crunchy to silky (crispy seems to be somewhere in the middle). I definitely fall on the crunchy side. Thankfully my husband puts up with enjoys being slightly crunchy too. He fits more in the survivalist category, but the point is we mesh. I want to grow a garden, he is all for not relying on the chain stores for food. I want to make candles for some light around the house, he goes on a rant about "the man" (not sure where that one cam from). I mention a dislike for being in a populated area, he starts searching for a cabin in the middle of no where (he's slightly anti-social, wink). I want to cloth diaper the kids, well, this one is mostly about money for him. Either way, it works.

In today's economy, it seems like many people are going towards the crunchy side when it suits them to save money. That is a fantastic bonus, but there is more to it than that. Cloth diapers for example, are great for saving money (as long as you can resist WAHMs), but they are even better for your baby's bum. The chemicals in sposies these days are horrific. Looking at any birth board or mom group, there will be questions about rashes and chemical burns from diapers. Chemical burns from diapers! I consider cloth much safer. I knew I never wanted to use sposies again after my beautiful new baby was in the hospital for 2 weeks using sposies, and her bottom bled. Since being in cloth, she hasn't even had a hint of redness.


Personal hygiene products are another awesome crunchy area! They are so much healthier and save money too. My latest adventures in this area include OCM (oil cleansing method) and no poo (no shampoo). Now before you scoff at my methods, listen to the logic. Our bodies make natural oils. Most of us can get by without chemical products as long as we aren't constantly throwing our bodies out of whack. OCM includes using oils to gently cleanse your face, it works wonderfully for me (so far). No poo is similar. It includes using natural products to wash your hair, working your way to totally natural, plain old water. I'll talk about both of these more later, but they save a fortune in traditional products and work better. I call that a win-win. (Another area hubby totally supports for the $)

There are opportunities to go crunchy in every aspect of our lives. Whether it's using vinegar instead of a chemical cleaner, or no poo'ing, cloth diapering, cooking organic from scratch, gardening, making candles, etc. it is definitely better for my family. I will be exploring more crunchy ways in the weeks to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...