Welcome! Hippie skirts and Harleys essentially explains my life. I am the hippie mom who likes to do a lot of things the natural way, and hippie skirts tend to be my favorite wardrobe item. Harleys is pretty self explanatory. My husband and I love to get on the bike and just go. Some people would consider us strange, but we're just us...

Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Great Cloth Diaper Change



In addition to my many spinning plates, I think I'll be adding one more. The Great Cloth Diaper Change is an awesome event happening on Earth Day this year, April 23rd. We will be trying to raise awareness about cloth diapering by setting the world record for the most cloth diapers changed at one time.
Earth Day is so fitting for this event. Cloth diapers are so much better for the environment. I have heard from several places that each disposable diaper sits in a landfill for 300+ years! Not even bringing the 3 Cs into it (cost, chemicals, and cuteness), that is a great reason to use cloth.

I have been stalking their website hoping that a location would pop up within 100 miles of me, no such luck. I mentioned a road trip to my mom, but she asked why I didn't just host one. Hmmm... Well I have thought about it, just not in an "I'm actually going to do this" kind of way. It is a fantastic cause, it would be great exposure to cloth diapering in general, and it might help someone in our middle-of-nowhere area learn that it's not about plastic pants, pins, and stinky pails any more. It does make sense. Even my mother, who keeps up on this kind of thing, had no idea what cloth diapers had evolved to. I love getting converts too. Partially because it is painful to hear about bleeding rashes, or the young couple who is struggling financially. I want to scream "Cloth is your solution!" But I nicely offer information and smile and nod when they respond with, "That's gross, I want easy diapers." Grrr. They are not gross, I have had fewer blowouts with cloth than with disposable. They are so easy too! It is no harder to put a cloth diaper on than a disposable.

But I digress...

I think she may have convinced me to do it. I still reserve the right to back out. It is a lot of work, and the timing is a little too soon. I really think I can make it work though. My mom, being as she is seriously resourceful, even suggested using the Nature Center. (This is the sound of my palm slapping my forehead) That is perfect! Cloth diapering is part of an environmental program, so we should be able to use it for free. She will help me and I am sure I can find a few others too, because all kinds of official world record paper work is involved with registering every participant. It is doable though.

Stay tuned to see how this one progresses...

If you use cloth or are interested in information about it, keep Earth Day open.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...